BACK TOTOP Browse A-ZSearchBrowse A-ZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0-9 E-mail FormEmail ResultsName:Email address:Recipients Name:Recipients address:Message: Print-FriendlyBookmarksbookmarks-menuLacquer poisoningLacquer is a clear or colored coating (called a varnish) that is often used to give wooden surfaces a glossy look. Lacquer is dangerous to swallow. Breathing in the fumes for a long period is also harmful.This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call the local emergency number (such as 911), or the local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. Poisonous Ingredient Poisoning from lacquers is due to hydrocarbons, which are substances that contain only hydrogen and carbon. Where Found Lacquers are products that are used as a clear finish for wooden surfaces, particularly floors. They are sold under various brand names. Symptoms Lacquer poisoning can cause symptoms in many parts of the body.AIRWAYS AND LUNGSBreathing difficulty (from inhalation) Throat swelling (may also cause breathing difficulty) BLADDER AND KIDNEYSBlood in urine No urine production (kidney failure) EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROATSevere pain in the throat Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue Vision loss STOMACH AND INTESTINESAbdominal pain -- severe Bloody stools Burns and possible holes of the esophagus (food pipe) Vomiting, possibly bloody HEART AND BLOODCollapse Low blood pressure -- develops rapidly (shock)ShockShock is a life-threatening condition that occurs when the body is not getting enough blood flow. Lack of blood flow means the cells and organs do n...Read Article Now Book Mark Article NERVOUS SYSTEMComa (decreased level of consciousness and lack of responsiveness) Brain damage Sleepiness Stupor (decreased awareness, sleepiness, confusion)SKINBurns Irritation Necrosis (holes) in the skin or underlying tissues Home Care Get medical help right away. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care provider.If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water, unless instructed otherwise by a provider.If the person breathed in the poison, immediately move them to fresh air. Before Calling Emergency Get the following information:Person's age, weight, and condition Name of the product (ingredients and strength, if known) Time it was swallowed Amount swallowed Poison Control Your local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.Poison control centerFor a POISON EMERGENCY call:1-800-222-1222ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATESThis national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. This ...Read Article Now Book Mark Article This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. What to Expect at the Emergency Room Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The person may receive:Blood and urine tests Breathing support, including oxygen through a tube into the lungs, and a breathing machine (ventilator) Bronchoscopy -- camera down the throat to look for burns in the airways and lungs (if the poison was aspirated) Chest x-ray ECG (heart tracing) Endoscopy -- camera down the throat to look for burns in the esophagus and the stomach Fluids through a vein (by IV) Medicine to reverse the effect of the poison and treat symptoms Surgical removal of burned skin (skin debridement) Tube through the mouth into the stomach to aspirate (suck out) the stomach. This is done only when the person gets medical care within 30 to 45 minutes of the poisoning, and a very large amount of the substance has been swallowed Washing of the skin (irrigation) -- perhaps every few hours for several days Outlook (Prognosis) How well a person does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a person gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.Swallowing such poisons can have severe effects on many parts of the body. Burns in the airway or gastrointestinal tract can lead to tissue death. This may result in infection, shock and death, even several months after substance was swallowed. Scar tissue in the affected areas can lead to long-term problems with breathing, swallowing, and digestion.Prolonged exposure to lacquer fumes can cause serious, long-term problems in the lungs and brain.Open ReferencesReferencesKuschner WG, Blanc PD. Acute responses to toxic exposures. In: Broaddus VC, Ernst JD, King TE, et al, eds. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2022:chap 103.Mofenson HC, Caraccio TR, McGujigan M, Greensher J. Medical toxicology. In: Kellerman RD, Rakel DP, eds. Conn's Current Therapy 2022. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier 2022:1372-1425.Wang GS, Buchanan JA. Hydrocarbons. In: Walls RM, Hockberger RS, Gausche-Hill M, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2018:chap 152.AllVideoImagesTogRelated Information Review Date: 11/13/2021 Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, CPE, FAAEM, FACEP, Attending Physician at Kaiser Permanente, Orange County, CA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team. The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- © 1997- All rights reserved. A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.Content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.