BACK TOTOP Browse A-ZSearchBrowse A-ZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0-9 E-mail FormEmail ResultsName:Email address:Recipients Name:Recipients address:Message: Print-FriendlyBookmarksbookmarks-menuPlant fertilizer poisoningHousehold plant food poisoning; Plant food - household - poisoningPlant fertilizers and household plant foods are used to improve plant growth. Poisoning can occur if someone swallows these products.Plant fertilizers are mildly poisonous if small amounts are swallowed. Larger amounts can be harmful to children. Touching a large amount of plant fertilizer may cause severe burns.This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call the local emergency number (such as 911), or the local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. Poisonous Ingredient The ingredients in plant fertilizers that can be harmful are:Nitrates Nitrites Where Found Various fertilizers contain nitrates and nitrites. Symptoms Symptoms of plant fertilizer poisoning include:Gray or blue-colored fingernails, lips, or palms of the hand Burning skin Burning of the throat, nose, and eyes Dizziness Fainting Itchy skin Low blood pressure (shock) Low blood pressureLow blood pressure occurs when blood pressure is much lower than normal. This means the heart, brain, and other parts of the body do not get enough ...Read Article Now Book Mark Article Seizures SeizuresA seizure is the physical changes in behavior that occurs during an episode of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. The term "seizure" is often...Read Article Now Book Mark Article Shortness of breath Skin redness Stomach pain Stomach upset (nausea, vomiting, cramps) Home Care Get medical help right away. Do not make the person throw up unless poison control or a health care provider tells you to.If the fertilizer is on the skin or in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.If the person swallowed the fertilizer, give them water or milk right away, if a provider tells you to do so. Do not give anything to drink if the person has symptoms that make it hard to swallow. These include vomiting, seizures, or a decreased level of alertness.If the person breathed in the fertilizer, move them to fresh air right away. Before Calling Emergency Have this information ready:Person's age, weight, and condition Name of the product (and ingredients, if known) Time it was swallowed Amount swallowed Poison Control Your local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.Poison control centerFor a POISON EMERGENCY call:1-800-222-1222ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATESThis national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. This ...Read Article Now Book Mark Article This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. What to Expect at the Emergency Room Take the container to the hospital with you, if possible.The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.Tests that may be done include:Blood and urine tests Bronchoscopy -- camera down the throat to look for burns in the airways and lungs Chest x-ray ECG (electrocardiogram or heart tracing) Methemoglobinemia, a condition that can be caused by nitrogenous fertilizer (including run-off from farms)MethemoglobinemiaMethemoglobinemia is a blood disorder in which the body cannot reuse hemoglobin because it is damaged. Hemoglobin is the oxygen-carrying molecule fo...Read Article Now Book Mark Article Treatment may include:Fluids through a vein (by IV) Medicine to treat symptoms Breathing support, including tube through the mouth into the lungs and breathing machine (ventilator) Outlook (Prognosis) Fertilizers can be dangerous in large amounts. They will affect the amount of oxygen that your brain and other organs receive.How well someone does depends on how severe the poisoning is and how quickly treatment is received. The faster medical help is given, the better the chance for recovery.Open ReferencesReferencesAronson JK. Nitrates, organic. In: Aronson JK, ed. Meyler's Side Effects of Drugs. 16th ed. Waltham, MA: Elsevier; 2016:192-202.Levine MD. Chemical injuries. In: Walls RM, Hockberger RS, Gausche-Hill M, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2018:chap 57.AllVideoImagesTogRelated Information Review Date: 11/13/2021 Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, CPE, FAAEM, FACEP, Attending Physician at Kaiser Permanente, Orange County, CA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team. The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- © 1997- All rights reserved. A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.Content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.