BACK TOTOP Browse A-ZSearchBrowse A-ZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0-9 E-mail FormEmail ResultsName:Email address:Recipients Name:Recipients address:Message: Print-FriendlyBookmarksbookmarks-menuJerusalem cherry poisoningChristmas cherry poisoning; Winter cherry poisoning; Ground cherry poisoningThe Jerusalem cherry is a plant that belongs to the same family as the black nightshade. It has small, round, red and orange fruit. Jerusalem cherry poisoning occurs when someone eats pieces of this plant.NightshadeBlack nightshade poisoning occurs when someone eats pieces of the black nightshade plant. This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to tre...Read Article Now Book Mark Article This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call the local emergency number (such as 911), or the local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. Poisonous Ingredient The poisonous ingredient is:Solanocapsine Where Found The poison is found throughout the Jerusalem cherry plant, but especially in the unripened fruit and leaves. Symptoms The effects of Jerusalem cherry poisoning mostly affect the primarily gastrointestinal (often delayed 8 to 10 hours), and central nervous system. This type of poisoning can be very dangerous. Other symptoms may include:Abdominal pain or stomach pain Delirium (agitation and confusion) DeliriumDelirium is sudden severe confusion due to rapid changes in brain function that occur with physical or mental illness.Read Article Now Book Mark Article Diarrhea Dilated pupils Fever Hallucinations HallucinationsHallucinations involve sensing things such as visions, sounds, or smells that seem real but are not. These things are created by the mind.Read Article Now Book Mark Article Headache Loss of sensation Lower than normal body temperature (hypothermia) Nausea and vomiting Paralysis Shock Slow pulse Slow pulseThe pulse is the number of heartbeats per minute.Read Article Now Book Mark Article Slowed breathing Slowed breathingMost people take breathing for granted. People with certain illnesses may have breathing problems that they deal with on a regular basis. This arti...Read Article Now Book Mark Article Vision changes Home Care Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care provider. Before Calling Emergency Get the following information:Person's age, weight, and condition Name and part of the plant that was swallowed, if known Time it was swallowed Amount swallowed Poison Control Your local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.Poison control centerFor a POISON EMERGENCY call:1-800-222-1222ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATESThis national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. This ...Read Article Now Book Mark Article This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does not need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. What to Expect at the Emergency Room The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The person may receive:Activated charcoal Blood and urine tests Chest x-ray ECG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing) Fluids by IV (though the vein) Laxatives Medicines to treat symptoms Outlook (Prognosis) How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed, and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.Symptoms most often get better within 1 to 3 days, but hospitalization may be necessary. Death is uncommon.DO NOT touch or eat any unfamiliar plant. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.Open ReferencesReferencesAuerbach PS. Wild plant and mushroom poisoning. In: Auerbach PS, ed. Medicine for the Outdoors. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:374-404.Auerbach PS, Constance BB, Freer L. Toxic plants. In: Auerbach PS, Constance BB, Freer L, eds. Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2019:chap 40.Graeme KA. Toxic plant ingestions. In: Auerbach PS, Cushing TA, Harris NS, eds. Auerbach's Wilderness Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017:chap 65.AllVideoImagesTogRelated Information Review Date: 11/13/2021 Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, CPE, FAAEM, FACEP, Attending Physician at Kaiser Permanente, Orange County, CA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team. The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- © 1997- All rights reserved. A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.Content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.